I had coffee with a knitting friend this past week and we have an lively discussion of the pros and cons of Instagram as it relates to knitting. I am firmly in the pro camp and she was firmly in the con camp. (Don’t worry we didn’t start jousting with our needles or anything and we are still friends)
- It helps grow and support the fiber arts community
- I can learn about new techniques or constructions
- I use it to publicize my blog
- I get great pattern ideas and yarn ideas
- It’s short and to the point and I can peruse quickly on hectic days
- It encourages people who are not photographers to pretend to be said photographers
- Photos are often so distorted you can tell what the project really looks like
- It encourages short attention spans
- It doesn’t have the long term viability like Ravelry and it will most likely die out like all social media platforms
Now I don’t want to start an internet firestorm because she has some good points and so do I. I told her I would pose the question to the blog-o-sphere and see what response we could get. We value all opinions of every shape, size, and color. All thoughts are welcome!
So, what are your thoughts on Instagram and Knitting?