I’ve reached that stage in life’s where I don’t need a lot of “stuff” in my life. Which makes Christmas and birthdays hard for those wishing to get me gifts. And lovely as my family is they aren’t initiated into the knitting obsession as I am and aren’t comfortable buying supplies for me. Therefor this year I got gift cards and straight up cash to spend on my knitting anyway I wished.
If you have been reading this blog for anytime at all you are aware of my current sock obsession. I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a ton of blogs that feed my yarny sock obsession and tempt me with fantastic indie dyed yarns. From this my plot was hatched….why not a 2016 sock yarn experiment?
I made a spreadsheet m of all the sock yarn and dyers that I’ve heard about. Then I hit the Internet and priced out each kind, the fiber content, and colors available. I wanted to get a nice variety and try as many new yarns as possible. Based on my budget and the post Christmas sales I was able to grab these yarns (prepare to drool):
- Miss Babs Hot Shot – Babette in Drunken Watermelon this is a 400 yd/4oz skein of 80% super wash merino/20% nylon in fingering weight
- String Theory Colorworks Black Body Radiation in the Orbit base -this is 328 yd/100 g skein of 80% SW merino/20% nylon in a sport weight
- String Theory Colorworks Mandrake in Continuum base – this is a 80% SW merino/10% cashmere/10% nylon in fingering weight
- Regia 6ply Active yarn in Neon Pink – this is a 40% SW wool/40% acrylic/20% Outlast fiber. I got two balls that each have 137 yds/50 g each.
- Hedgehog Fibers Sock Yarn in Bali – this is a 90% SW merino/10% nylon in a 383 yards/100 g skein in fingering weight.
- Fleece Artist Trail Sock in Nebula – this is a 80% SW merino/20% nylon mix in a 355 yard/115 g skein in fingering weight.
- Abstract Fibers Super Sock + in Twilight – this is a 80% SW merino/20% nylon blend in a 434 yard/4oz skein of fingering weight.
- BerryColorfulYarning Saturated Sock Self-Striping in the Pats color way – this is 75% SW merino/25% nylon blend in a 463 yard/100 g skein
- BerryColorfulYarning Saturated Sock Self Striping in the Spooky color way – this is a 75% SW merino/25% nylon blend in a 463 yard/100 g skein.
I am probably insane and this is a tremendous amount of yarn. Who knows how long it will take me to get through. But I’m high on yarn fumes and right now I don’t care! I hope I have done a bit of yarn enabling as well!