Jellybean’s Purple Blanket is one skein in!
The jumbo locking stitch markers are a HUGE help to this novice crocheter. I have thus far (knock on wood) been able to maintain 10 stitches in between the markers. I have had to fudge once or twice but no one can tell and the blanket is still square! I do struggle with consistent tension. But that will come with time and practice. I don’t find crochet as therapeutic as knitting so I don’t know that I will devote a ton of time to crochet versus knitting. But it’s nice to have that tool in the toolkit.
I leave this project in the living room where Jellybean and I both can see it. He reminds me every once in a while that his blanket isn’t done yet. So it’s good motivation to add a few stitches every night. Now I only have 2-3 more massive chenille skeins to go….
Happy Knitting….er, I mean crocheting!
The ongoing sleep deprivation by a certain small human in this house has continued. My child is a happy and healthy robust 3 year old that simply does not need as much sleep as some other children his age. That being said he (and we) are still needing to find ways to cope with some relaxation and snoring issues. We have been put in touch with a fantastic regional children’s sleep clinic and we all have high hopes that this will be good for everyone.
That being said my Jellybean is also VERY attached to the color purple. If it’s purple….it’s his. He received a purple sparkly throw blanket for his third birthday and it MUST be with him in bed for sleeping. He doesn’t want to cover up with it necessarily….it just is there for comfort. We have had some nights where said blanket cannot be located and it’s the end of the world. So industrious knitter that I am had him pick out some purple yarn at Joanns so we can have TWO acceptable purple blankets.
He chose some Bernat Blanket Brights in POW Purple. I also got a new and lighter Clover crochet hook in the appropriate bulky size and some locking stitch markers to help me count across my piece. As a novice crocheter I sometimes have trouble placing my hook and unintentionally add or drop stitches.
I also decided that I wasn’t going to wing this blanket. I went to Ravelry and did a search for a pattern that suited my needs. I found the Hudson Baby Blanket by Jamie Williams. It’s basically the blanket I have been improvising but checked for gauge and the better directions for adding height when turning rows. I did modify from the pattern by going up to 90 stitches from the pattern recommended 64. I need my blanket to be more child sized than baby sized. Jellybean is already wearing clothes from the boys section at 3 years old….
I’m hoping to have this baby done up soon so the blanket crisis is a thing of the past!