Thanks to some grandparents distractions and babysitting I managed to finish out the last of Dino Jr! Last we spoke I really only had the eyes and scales left to do.
I managed to dig through my mom’s button stash in her sewing room and find two pink-ish small buttons that made perfect eyes. Jellybean is old enough now I’m confident he won’t chew on and/or choke on them. And I don’t plan on letting PB play with this one. But I thought my button choice worked nicely.
The scales cranked out quickly and the only mod I made was to only knit two A scales instead of three. I knew I would never fit them all onto the dino without making them looked bunched up. My seaming technique leaves a little to be desired. But I erred on the side of making them Jellybean proof versus picture perfect.
All in all this was a fun knit and a good pattern. I need to work on reducing my ladders but I would probably knit this one again. And the bonus is that I managed to get this all complete out of sight of Jellybean so I’m considering tucking this away for a Christmas present!
If anyone is interested by notes, yarn usage, mods, etc are all on my Ravelry page for this project. This is probably an adventurous beginner pattern and I would say give it a whirl if you have a dino lover in your knitworthy list.
The legs were SUPER easy to knit and I knocked all four out in less than one Netflix show. I did have some laddering between my DPNs because of the small circumference and my tension. I just simply used the extra yarn after seaming to kind of embroider those ladders “closed”. Now no one will ever notice and no fiber fill will peak out.
I did make my hubby laugh. He came upstairs just as I was finishing the sewing of the second leg and started giggling at my knitting.
I spent some time cleaning this weekend and I found the Dino I was working on for Jellybean. I had cast on and just worked the head and put it down. That’s just silly! This is a worsted weight toy over not that many stitches. So I buckled down during naps and bedtime and cranked through the entire body. It really didn’t take that long at all and I kinda kicked myself for letting it languish. The hardest part was running out to Joanns for more fiber fill because I was out!
I need to do some massaging to get the stuffing evened out and the body less lumpy. And after that I just have four legs and the scales to knit. Surely by the grace of the baby nap gods I can get those done soon. This definitely needs legs as it kind of looks like a snail now, lol.
So I pulled the remaining Plymouth Encore Worsted left from the monkey and found I had enough yarn for a Dinosaur patter in my queue but only if I reversed the colors. So Dinosaur Jr by Katie Boyette hit my needles. I have only started the head portion but I’m hoping some good evening knitting will see this project chug forward in no time!