A Sock For A Giant

Warning: Huuuuuuuge guage fail ahead!

  
Doesn’t my finished Active Vanilla sock look pretty?  

It’s pretty…..huge that is! Look at all that extra fabric. I should have listened to my instincts. This was 60 stitches in DK weight on US 3s. That’s apparently about 10 stitches too many. This would have fit my husband width wise!

  
I started sock #2 from the second ball with 50 stitches and I’m zooming right along. I’m almost to the heel. The first sock is sitting waiting to be ripped out and reknit. I guess this pair is going to require three knit socks to render a usuable pair!

Harrumph! I mean Happy Knitting!

Advertisements

Famous Last Words

Remember when I said I would post sneak peeks of my Christmas craft show barring some sort of disaster…..

20121116-212237.jpg

We came home to a bathroom and kitchen full of water….sigh. For no apparent reason I might add! Tomorrow is a new day and I promise to post, I swear!

Knitting Disaster

I am always knitting something and to be brutally honest I am usually knitting many projects at once. Lately I have been churning and burning items for my booths at a fall and winter craft sales coming in November and December. It’s been daunting lately and I felt a strong pull to make something special, just for myself.
I made a quick swing through the yarn store and picked up some luxurious (and expensive) yarn. I studied patterns and picked a super sweet shrug design that would be perfect for fall. And with that I was off to the races!
I had just grafted my second hank of yarn on the first and had about 10 inches complete……then disaster struck! I had purchased Denise Interchangeables early this year and I had used the crap of the larger needles. This was my first project with the US 5 size. I went to push the work down off the needle onto the cord so i could turn to start the next row and SNAP! The needle broke right above where it attached to the cord!

20120918-105931.jpg

20120918-105941.jpg

I gasp do loudly that my husband came to see what was wrong from the room. I had dropped about 25 sts across and 2 rows down. This was 15 minutes before I had to walk out the door for a performance at the local theatre. I wanted to cry and scream at the same time! I knew I didn’t have any other 5s on hand do I grabbed a set of US 6s and carefully picked up the loose stitches so I didn’t lose any more work and then ran out the door.

20120918-110308.jpg

The next day I swung by Joann’s and picked up some Boye’s metal US 6 29 inch circs. I very carefully frogged my piece back off the broken 5s and temporary 6s onto the new 5s. Took me over an hour, but by golly I got it fixed. A quick count told me I still had all 216 sts! I am now halfway done 🙂

20120918-110553.jpg

I know knitting disasters happen to knitters of all levels and I am better for it. I didn’t panic and frog the whole thing and I’m calling that a win! This will be a sweater to remember!

I am also contacting Denise about a replacement needle. I know the needles are low end plastic…but they structurally failed on the first project! All the larger sizes have performed beautifully and I had been very happy with my set. Time will tell…

Happy Knitting to all!