I JUST squeaked by with enough yarn to finish. I’m finally done with the mega skein of the Hansen Hand Dyed merino!
The Ravelry details of my project are here in case anyone is interested. I made the pattern up myself and tried to take good notes.
The only slight bummer was the thumb hole on mitt #2. It turned out a bit to large and gapey after the crochet edge. So I used some waste yarn and closed it up a bit to make it fit better. But all in all I’m very pleased with with and can’t wait to wear them.
Ps. As I finished these it was literally 111 in Topeka with a heat index of 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Asphalt literally got too hot and buckled. It might be awhile before I need these!
While I was exploring yarn shops my mom tagged along and I took her to quilt shops in and around Colorado Springs. Quilts aren’t my bag so I waited in the car and jammed out to podcasts and worked on my TrueBlue mitts.
I made good progess. What you see above is an almost complete mitt #2! Though most of this progress was made during the drive out to Colorado. But not one person even blinked twice about a slightly sunburnt lady knitting in a Suburu on a Saturday morning. 😃
My Jacoby Mitts are finito! They are snug without being too tight. The yarn is a superwash merino/nylon base so I’m hoping they stand up well with no pilling as I type and work. On a side but related note….how hard is it to take good pictures of your hands? Lol, I had to have the hubby help! Even then one hand would appear smaller/larger in the photo unless I kept my hands spaced correctly. I used a free pattern and yarn from my stash. A win for this girl! Not mention the instant gratification of a quick project! I absolutely adore the pops of deep purple, blues and bits of white that appear. Very much like the blackberries I used to pick in my Grandparent’s garden.
Mods: Lengthened the arm portion and finger portion to add cover more of my wrists and fingers.
These worked up easily and quickly on my circs. I am going to keep this pattern in mind for quick and easy gifts for birthday and holidays. My sister make like a pair maybe? And the best part is that this is not my only FO this week….stay tuned….
I feel like shouting….”Once more into the breach!!!”
Are these gloves starting to look familiar? Well guess what, they should be! These are some Simple Fingerless Mitts (take three) or my Stashbustin’ #42 project.
P.S. sorry for the bad lighting….it’s getting so dark so early it’s hard to get good pics!
I wanted to make another gift pair and do a little odds and ends stashbusting. I had some Berroco Vintage DK in orange from my first two pair of gloves and some Berroco Vintage worsted in yellow from my Brick Sweater. They colors looked good together so off I went.
I weighed each remaining lot of yarn and divided in half. One half for each glove. I worked the orange (dk) in 2×2 rib until I ran out. Then I proceeded on with the pattern in the yellow (worsted) until I ran out of yarn. I wasn’t able to fully complete the 2×2 rib at the top, or really at all. So the mitt curls a bit…ok a lot. I’m going to give this first mitt a bath and a block to see if it solves the curl. Otherwise I’ll rip back and correct it. Then of course….knit the matching mate to go with.
Honest opinion time….do you guys think this glove works?
I used the wonderfully simple pattern Simple Fingerless Mitts by Tink’s Knits. A perfect pattern match to my current dpn skill level. I used about half a skein of Berroco Vintage DK (135.4 yards or 47 grams for those of you who like hard numbers)
While I dearly love the color and ease of construction. I don’t like the stockinette section at the wrist. It bunches an doesn’t flex and stay fit to my wrists like my first pair. But that is by no means a dig at the author or pattern, more just a personal preference. And the mod to tailor this to me is SUPER easy to work in to the pattern. Going forward all my gloves will be ribbed right up to the bottom of the thumb gusset.
This pair is definitely one for my gift pile. I think I have a recipient in mind for them already….
As for my next pair, I think I am going to gather up my Berroco scraps from both these two pair gloves (I still have 20 yards of orange left) and my Brick sweater and attempt a mixed color combination. If my idea works I’ll have another pair for the gift pile!
I have to switch gears, like right now….I have a craft fair to set up tonight! My momma is going to do it with me and we have lots of goodies to sell tomorrow!!!
Sadly, I only have one glove complete. I really really liked my first pair of finger-less gloves. I just had to cast on a second pair. I had exactly half a skein of my orange Berroco Vintage yarn left so I took that as a sign to make another pair.
While starting the second pair, I realized I didn’t follow the directions correctly the first time. I inadvertently worked the first 32 rows in the 2×2 rib instead of 10 rows in rib then 22 rows of stockinette. So for this pair I followed the directions as written.
Based on how this glove turned out, I think I prefer my accidental pattern interpretation of the first pair. Those gloves were much more fitted right up to the wrist and flexed with my hand. This glove bunches slightly at my wrist when I wear it.
But I shall persevere and work the second glove to match. But I think this pair will definitely land in the gift pile.