Every year I participate in the Down Cellar Studio’s football KAL, the Pigskin Party KAL. In addition to knitting items for points the KAL also includes things called “interceptions” or side challenges. In October they had a Frog It Interception. And I had just the thing to participate with. This is my Stockinette Shrug I made back in 2012. It was my first “real” sweater and made from some Berroco Vintage DK. I never wore it after I took FO photos. It’s too big, not flattering at all, and not easy to style.
So I took this pile of wrinkly sweater….
And turned it into this….
I lost a little bit of yarn cutting into the bind off and dealing with where the ends were woven in. And I haven’t weighed this yarn yet to see what I have left. But it should be a little over three skeins of DK. The next step for this will be to wind them in to hanks and give them a good wash and whack to relax the yarn.
I have no designs on what I will use this yarn for next. But for now I’m happy to have an unhappy FO returned to the state of happy yarn. Not to mention earning a few points for the KAL!
I’ve made A TON of mistakes because I’m mainly knitting these in the dark after the kiddos go to bed. I have uttered a lot of curse words and mostly gone back and fixed the dropped stitches and wonky yarn bits. But these will be FAR from perfect. My needles are also very sharp and I feel like that is part of my problem too (besides the dark).
I completely just winged this “pattern” and I really hope I can duplicate for the second mitt! The rubber will really hit the road when I cast off the cuff and try these babies on. I have no idea how these will fit other than I know they will fit over my fist.
I haven’t touched this in awhile and I kind of forgot how beautiful this blanket is. I have an itch to work on this, but it won’t earn me any points in the football KAL I’m playing in so I have kind of let it sit in my bag.
My better angels may win out and this may see some action this fall. Especially after I show you some mini madness I have earned. But that needs to be it’s own post. For now I’m going to pet my pretty blanket and snuggle under it.
I know based on my progress on my Rainbow Pop Sockhead Slouch that I will have enough to A) put in my memory sock yarn blanket and B) make a pair of finger-less mitts. In anticipation of the mitts I pulled some Cascade Heritage Sock in a solid grey from my stash and cast on the first cuff of my vanilla mitt recipe. This way I will have contrasting cuffs and thumbs while also making my rainbow yarn go as far as possible.
But look at this yarn barf hot mess. I was knitting along fine and all of sudden just SOOO many tangles coming from inside the skein. I am eeeking along and steadily untangling as I knit until the cuff is long enough and them I’m breaking the yarn and rewinding this bad boy. Ain’t nobody got time for tangled yarn barf!
I’m every so close to finishing my Rainbow Pop Sockhead Slouch! I’m at 10 inches and ready to start decreasing. I’ve decided that’s enough slouch for me!
I also recently updated my iPhone to the lastest iOS and I got a new tool downloaded. It’s a measuring ap that uses your camera. So I took it for a spin.
I laid down a traditional tape measure for reference and played with the ap. I did manage to get it to come out to the right answer. But I also got several attempts where it was .5 inches on either side. So it’s close but I wouldn’t use it for anything exacting. I would use it if I was just wanting a ball park and stuck without a tape measure.t
I’m really happy with how the colors are coming out. I know it will change when I start the crown decreases. For sure there will be some pooling and changes in the color blips. But such is the way of this yarn and I’m at peace with it. I just REALLY want this hat for winter!
Yarn: Berroco Comfort DK in Menthe and Primary Blue. I used 233 yards of the Menthe and 85 yards of the Primary Blue. So all in all that’s about 94 grams of yarn.
Needles: US 4 (the pattern calls for 6s and I oopsed) My gauge ended up being 5.5 stitches and 8 rows to 1 inch.
Size: 12 months
Sorry no finished photos with PB. She is in the middle of a developmental leap and just kind of a crabby mess after we get home from work. Her little brain is really growing up a storm. But bottom line is that I loved this pattern and will most likely re-knit this again as PB gets bigger.
My Leksak is completely knitted and awaiting a good blocking!
I slept on my wonky button band issue and decided I couldn’t live with it. And I had the yarn to reknit the bands, so why not? So I pulled back the band and re-knit them being careful to count my stitches on each side. And they were equal. Well…..I think I picked up too many stitches on each side. So they now match…but they are kinda huge. But I’m definitely rolling with this one. I’m not doing that a third time! It’s good enough for and it’s good enough for PB, lol.
As you can also see, I made the sleeves match. I started my round at the back of the sleeves so the job is only visible from the back. I kinda dig it. This baby is now soaking gently and I hope to have it dry for FO photos tomorrow!!
My yarn is almost striping. But it’s doing so evenly and nicely around the hat. I was hoping for more space between the blips but this is close enough for me right now in my life. I also noticed that I forgot to go up a needle size for the stockinette…doh. But again I’m making progress on a thing that makes me happy so I’m rolling with the punches.
My hat is at 9 inches total (including the ribbing). Typical sockhead hats are supposed to be 13 inches before you start the crown decreases. I’m not sure I want my hat that slouchy. I think I will do 10.5 to 11 inches and then start the decreases. I’ll be able to slip it on when I get that point to see how I feel about the fit.