My Candy Corn Hat and Booties are done! This was a crazy fast knit. Including the fact that I basically knit the hat twice. I chose to knit the hat in the round on a circular instead of double pointed needles. This caused an EPIC pattern reading fail that I didn’t notice until I was almost done. But I digress…
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Off-White and Sunshine and Vanna’s Choice in Terracotta. I used very little yarn. All told it was 47 gram or 67.7 yards of yarn. Obviously much more yellow and orange than white. This would great for using up scraps!
Needles: US 8 circulars
Mods: I cast on 68 stitches instead of the pattern prescribed 60 to allow for growing room for Jellybean and the fact that my husband’s family tends to grow big headed babies, lol. My project is Raveled here.
Depending on baby size and weather, this might be Jellybean’s Halloween costume. We will see what the baby brain fog brings. For now I’m just going to continue to knit until he or she gets here!
I have had the urge lately to use some of the “special” and/or “new” yarn in my stash. My pull towards projects of late has been more fiber based than pattern based.
Case in point: awhile back I purchased a sweaters worth of Berroco Comfy Chunky in a pumpkin color. It’s a bulky acrylic blend with a VERY soft feel. My pregnancy brain has not lent itself to very complicated patterns so I perused my Rav queue and found this lovery: Sprout Cardigan by Classic Elite Yarns!
(photo credit to @Classic Elite Yarns)
I printed the pattern and pulled out the yarn. I opted for a long tail cast on and slipped stitch edges for a smooth look. Not to mention both will help with seaming later.
I’m using my US 9 Knit Picks Nickel inter-changeables. This yarn can be a bit “splitty” if you untwist it as it made up of multiple single plies. The sharp points to my needles help quite a bit. I’m working on the first piece and this garter stitch is great for TV knitting and car knitting!
I’m super excited for this sweater this fall. I’m hoping it will be a figure friendly addition to my wardrobe as my bump is HUGE in October and then as I transition back to my pre-baby body. I just can’t get over how cute this is belted!
I used the wonderfully simple pattern Simple Fingerless Mitts by Tink’s Knits. A perfect pattern match to my current dpn skill level. I used about half a skein of Berroco Vintage DK (135.4 yards or 47 grams for those of you who like hard numbers)
While I dearly love the color and ease of construction. I don’t like the stockinette section at the wrist. It bunches an doesn’t flex and stay fit to my wrists like my first pair. But that is by no means a dig at the author or pattern, more just a personal preference. And the mod to tailor this to me is SUPER easy to work in to the pattern. Going forward all my gloves will be ribbed right up to the bottom of the thumb gusset.
This pair is definitely one for my gift pile. I think I have a recipient in mind for them already….
As for my next pair, I think I am going to gather up my Berroco scraps from both these two pair gloves (I still have 20 yards of orange left) and my Brick sweater and attempt a mixed color combination. If my idea works I’ll have another pair for the gift pile!
I have to switch gears, like right now….I have a craft fair to set up tonight! My momma is going to do it with me and we have lots of goodies to sell tomorrow!!!
After this past weekend’s funk…I needed some inspiration or maybe just a good pick me up.
Fall has been relatively good to us in Kansas this year (knock on wood). And this has let me get lots of walks in with my four legged children, including last night (2.5 miles…woot!). We walk all over the neighborhood, but I find myself drawn to one street in particular. Here’s why…
This tree is so vibrant and beautiful that photos literally do not do it justice!
I so badly want to knit a sweater in this color or maybe just roll around on yarn this shade, either way lol!!
Sadly, I only have one glove complete. I really really liked my first pair of finger-less gloves. I just had to cast on a second pair. I had exactly half a skein of my orange Berroco Vintage yarn left so I took that as a sign to make another pair.
While starting the second pair, I realized I didn’t follow the directions correctly the first time. I inadvertently worked the first 32 rows in the 2×2 rib instead of 10 rows in rib then 22 rows of stockinette. So for this pair I followed the directions as written.
Based on how this glove turned out, I think I prefer my accidental pattern interpretation of the first pair. Those gloves were much more fitted right up to the wrist and flexed with my hand. This glove bunches slightly at my wrist when I wear it.
But I shall persevere and work the second glove to match. But I think this pair will definitely land in the gift pile.
These Simple Fingerless Mitts were very easy to make, despite being on DPNs. I had a single skein of Berroco Vintage DK in orange with a few slight tweed flecks. I knit on size US 6 needles because I didn’t have any 5s. Gloves still turned out and fit pretty well. They might have been too small on the smaller needles.
I probably only have 8-10 knitting hours in these gloves. I like to take my time and make sure to keep my dpns from getting all boogered up. I used 46 grams or 132.5 yards of yarn. And I did make one significant mod:
knit 20 rows total of ribbing at the cuff
I wanted to make sure the gloves were long enough to tuck inside the sleeves of my coat. And I was very happy with this mod. And the best part is that I only used half a skein, so I can knit a whole second pair for a Christmas gift.
Now I’m off to refill my cup. I wish everyone a very happy Friday! And as always, Happy Knitting!!!