I have been cheating on my Pigskin Party knitting.
This is a WIP that predates the KAL so it doesn’t count for points. But my Strands of Drunken Watermelon socks have been living in my desk and I’ve put some stitches on the second sock during long webinars and conference calls. I’ve made maybe an inch? Slowly but surely this will be sock someday!
My Strands of Drunken Watermelon have a very easy slip stitch pattern. And now I’m working the pattern all the way around the sock. So it’s easy to get off course.
The slipped stitches are worked worked with the yarn held in front. And the bars created in this process are offset/alternated by two stitches every other pattern row (if that makes any sense). This is not captivating TV show or late night knitting. I lose the ability to count to two and my bars go all wonky. I tried working on this late into the evening Labor Day weekend and I ended up tinking more than I knit.
The heel is turned on my Strands of Drunken Watermelon socks!
I did go with the toe-up gusset heel. I may have started it a tad bit later than I should have. The foot length looks loooong. The slightly more objective tape measure versus just eyeballing it assures me the foot is just slightly over 9 inches. Which should be fine. Should be…
For now I’m just going to admire my heel. Plus now I get to work the pattern all the way around. One less marker to fuss with!
Ps. How awesome is Miss Babs Hot shot!?!?
My Strands of Drunken Watermelon socks are still living in my desk. The foot now measures 7 inches. The pattern said to insert your favorite short row heel. But A) I converted these to toe-up and B) I don’t know any short row heels for toe up off the top of my head. I briefly flirted with short row heel patterns on Ravelry but ultimately I couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger. I just decided to work a standard toe up gusset heel. I can continue the pattern over the top of the foot and do my increases in stockinette in the bottom. My brain knows how to do that so that’s what I’m doing.
The progress keeper shows my process since last I blogged about these. You may also noticed (as I did only just now) that the slipped stitch patterning is pulling the fabric on that half of the sock.
The designer warned in the pattern to work the sole tightly and the top loosely. I sincerely tried. I’m not *too* worried as the slip stitch fabric stretches nicely when pulled. I’m hoping a nice aggressive blocking arranges that. Regardless they will be perfectly serviceable socks even if the front is shorter than the back.
Ps. Jellybean is still on his sleep rebellion. This time thanks to growing pains. I’m really tired so apologies for any nonsensical errors in the above post 🤤
I haven’t mentioned my Strands of Drunken Watermelon socks in awhile. Well, they have been living in my office desk at work. I have had a spate of webinars and conference calls lately so they have seen a little growth.
I’m pleased with the pattern and it’s use of slipped stitches. It’s blending the highly variagated yarn so nicely!
I do need to take care to make sure I know what row of the four row repeat I’m on. I’ve had to tink back a time or two….
Slowly but surely these will grow! Happy Knitting!!
My Miss Babs yarn finally spoke to me! I found the Strands of Gold sock pattern by Linda Garland and thought the yarn floats would be awesome in this highly variagated yarn! It a simple toe up socks with short sections of holding the yarn in front and slipping the stitches behind it.
So these are now called my “Strands of Drunken Watermelon” socks. I set aside some time this week and cast on both toes. The first I put onto my 9 inch circ to work and the second is on DPNs inside the WIP minder that came with the bag.
These are probably going to wait until after I finish my sister’s socks. here’s hoping that helps me fight SSS!